Illinois Ag In The Classroom
1701 Towanda Avenue
(309) 557-2098 fax
Last 5 messages
March 20 IAITC FarmWeek ArticleSunday, March 19, 2017
SPECIAL NOTE.....Although this is being posted early, the digital copy of FarmWeek will not be available until mid morning on Monday 3-20.
March 20, 2017
FARMWEEK Reading Activity from Illinois Agriculture in the Classroom.
Another in the series of Illinois Agriculture in the Classroom non-fiction text examples to be used in your classroom. Remember, these will be available every MONDAY afternoon that FarmWeek is published during the school year.
Questions about this can be directed to Kevin Daugherty, Education Director of Illinois Agriculture in the Classroom at email@example.com.
**Reminder these questions are designed to use with the on-line version of FarmWeek.
Note, by request of teachers we have included the answers to the questions immediately following the questions.
Trade acreage estimates in line with USDA projections
- Allendale, Inc. released the planting intentions survey.What are the projections for corn and soybeans? (Corn 90.018 million acres, soybeans a record 88.825 million acres)
- What is the trend for corn, soy, wheat and cotton acres?(increase in both soybeans and cotton, reduction in corn and wheat)
- What reason do you assume fora reduction in corn and wheat? (current prices for corn and wheat are low.)
- How might weather in impact the planting estimates? (Because this is just the first day of spring, anything could happen between now and prime planting time.)
- How will projected planting plans impact you and your area? (answers will vary)
BONUS ARTICLE on Central States Wildfires.
For background information the impact of the central states wildfires consider reading this article.
Kansas wildfire damage spurs YL relief efforts
- What was the initial plan to send help to Kansas? (Initially, one load of hay was planned to be shipped.)
- What is the projected outcomeof the hay drive? (the organizers plan on providing a minimun of 6 loads of hay.)
- Why do you think efforts like these this are important? (answers will vary.)
- Little media coverage has been directed to the wildfires and the aftermath.Why do you think this is the case?(answers will vary)
To be removed from this list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org