Illinois Ag In The Classroom
1701 Towanda Avenue
(309) 557-2098 fax
Last 5 messages
April 17 IAITC FarmWeek ArticlesMonday, April 17, 2017
April 17, 2017
FARMWEEK Reading Activity from Illinois Agriculture in the Classroom.
Another in the series of Illinois Agriculture in the Classroom non-fiction text examples to be used in your classroom. Remember, these will be available every MONDAY afternoon that FarmWeek is published during the school year.
Questions about this can be directed to Kevin Daugherty, Education Director of Illinois Agriculture in the Classroom at email@example.com.
**Reminder these questions are designed to use with the on-line version of FarmWeek.
Note, by request of teachers we have included the answers to the questions immediately following the questions.
Planting season begins between raindrops
- Compare the averages of rain received on average in IL in the first week of April (1.52 inches) with the average from your location.(Consider using this website: https://www.climate.gov/maps-data/dataset/past-weather-zip-code-data-table)Were you above average or below average for the week of April 1-7? (Answers will vary)
- While soil moisture and soil temperatures are important, Wentworth and Ackerman both stress safety.What ways can both farmers and motorist exhibit farm safety during planting season? (Answers will vary)
- Page 6 and 7 feature CropWatchers from around the state.Find the CropWatcher closest to you and compare their reports to fields near you and your school.Are they alike? (answers will vary)
Page 2 Illinois FFA’s new career contest focuses on teaching
- Describe the new FFA CDE offered in Illinois? (Ag Education , 50 minute lesson plan and presentation)
- How many others states already offer Ag Ed CDEs? (9)
- If you were developing a lesson to be taught in an introduction to agriculture class, what topic would you choose and why? (Answers will vary)
READING A PRESS RELEASE
Consider reading this press release from the Illinois Soybean Association
- How will Tuna Aquaculture offer sustainable supplies of tuna?(Answers will vary)
- After reading the press release, and viewing the YouTube Video (in the article), provide an objective summary of the text (Answers will vary--CCELA RI.9.3)
To be removed from this list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org